The International Association of Physics Students (IAPS) in collaboration with the PLANCKS 2021 Organising Committee (OC) invites you, a team of academically gifted and deserving students, currently undertaking bachelor or master studies in physics or related disciplines at your faculty, to submit an application for the PLANCKS Global Grant! You will be given the chance to attend PLANCKS 2021, which will be held online in a hackathon format on 6 – 9 May 2021.
IAPS is willing to support the participation of teams in this unique edition of PLANCKS, by covering the registration fee of all the team members. The goal is to allow any student and team, independently of their background and financial status, to attend this physics hackathon.
Teams of students meeting the following criteria may apply:
- Students of physics or related discipline at the Bachelors or Masters level
- Students not from developed countries (as defined by the latest UN WESP Country Classification)
- Students showing great interest, not only in PLANCKS, but in IAPS and in involvement in physics societies
For an application to be considered, the application must include the following materials:
- Letter of motivation from the team:
- Short video of your team outlining why you want to take part in PLANCKS 2021:
You can use the camera in your phone and/or even a Online video chat platform (example Zoom), if your country has lockdown restrictions. The video won’t be judged on its quality, but more on the creativity, so be creative!
- Any available documents certifying financial background (optional):
The letter and the optional financial document must be sent by email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. They must be in English, which is the working language of IAPS and PLANCKS 2021, and in a pdf format.
The video must be uploaded to one or multiple Social Media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Twitter) chosen by the team. The PLANCKS 2021 (@PLANCKS2021 for Facebook and @plancks2021 for Instagram and Twitter) and IAPS (@iapsfb for Facebook and @iaps_physics for Instagram and Twitter) corresponding Social Media must both be tagged and/or mentioned. The following hashtags must also be used: #PLANCKS2021, #PLANCKS, #IAPS, #PLANCKATHON. The video must also be sent via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. If the file size of the video is too large, the video can be sent through a link to a Google Drive or Dropbox upload or similar, such as WeTransfer.
The name in [bold] following each point above is the filename that must be used when emailing the different materials. If any of the above materials are missing or are not as requested, the application will not be considered.
The video posted on Social Media will be shared through all the PLANCKS 2021 Social Media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube) and/or uploaded by the PLANCKS 2021 OC team if it is not possible to share it in a certain platform (for example, Youtube videos on Instagram).
There will be two rounds of grant application. The first one corresponds to the first round of registration and the second to the second round of registration and PLANCKS preliminaries occurrence. Considering this, the following dates must be taken into account:
- 1st round: Open on 21 December 2020 until 17 January 2021
- 2nd round: Open on 1 February 2021 until 14 March 2021
Successful applicants will be announced publicly, with their permission.
Up to 10 grants will be available, and the application is competitive. Priority will be given to teams with financial hardship. The selection of the winning teams, and the award of the grant, is made at the discretion of the Executive Committee of IAPS and of the Organising Committee of PLANCKS 2021. It will consider the motivation of the students in taking part in PLANCKS 2021 and the creativity of the video.
The registration fee of all the members of the awarded team will be paid directly by IAPS to the Organising Committee of PLANCKS 2021, after confirmation of team acceptance from the OC.
If the team does not abide by the restrictions given below, IAPS and the PLANCKS 2021 OC may decide to withdraw the grant.
The decision of the IAPS Executive Committee shall be final.
- The applicant team must properly register for PLANCKS 2021 either at the designated website, via the Individual Team registration, or be the winning team at their preliminary competition.
- All team members must be a member of IAPS to participate in PLANCKS 2021 and to apply to this grant, and if they are not yet a member of IAPS, they must become one.
- IAPS reserves the right to withhold or withdraw part or all of the grant in the case of any fraud, intentional falsification, breach of the IAPS Code of Conduct or the event Terms and Conditions, or criminal activity on the part of the winner, or runners-up if any, during the application, the event or the reimbursement process.